http://gabbiash.com/inGodwetrust.html
As we remember the tragedy of September 11th and celebrated what is now called Patriot Day, my mind reflects on my experience that day. I was serving a mission for my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, in Indiana. At the time I was in Lafayette. We received a phone call from a dear member of our church that morning telling us what happened and then from the channels of our Mission President. We were warned to be careful and to make sure we had a 72 hr food supply. It was rumored that the terrorists would strike Chicago, which was only about 2 hrs away. Well, as missionaries we don't watch t.v. or read newspapers or do anything like that, that would distract us from focusing on the teachings of our Savior. Well, that day, we were told if we would like we could watch for a min. to see what was happening. I chose however not to watch. I did see the planes hit and saw some pictures and that was plenty for me. I didn't want to get sucked in for hours. We were saddened by that event and so was the whole nation. But, as a missionary we saw a different affect on people. Everyone we talked with or met with that day wanted to pray. We were let into people's houses, one right after the other. "Please come in and say a prayer with us" was the response door after door. When normally, not very many people would even look us in the eyes. What a glorious day, we the people of the United States of America, remembered the only true source for peace. Our God. What a joy it was to see people who wouldn't ordinarily be praying, asking us to pray, because most of them didn't know how, but they knew it would help. That night the women of our faith got together at what we would call an Enrichment meeting, instead of having our scheduled event, we gathered together and held a testimony meeting. We each took turns bearing testimony of our knowledge of our Savior who loves each of us and who died to take away not only our sins but our heartaches and pains. I am so greatful for that knowledge and for the Plan of Salvation that he so carefully laid out for each of us. I am greatful for the priesthood power and that through that power we are sealed together as eternal families. I know that this life has a purpose and that we each have a vital part in it. I greatful for all that the Lord has blessed me with. For a very loving and supportive husband, who honors his priesthood and is a great example. For a wonderful little boy who is a joy in our life. For wonderful parents and for the blessing of knowing I'm a Child of God.
You see, I have a different aspect on that horrible day, which was in one way a beautiful day. A day were we united as a country and turned to our God. Not that I diminish in any way the horrible, devastating effects of that tragic day. I pray that the Lord will bless those that were affected by the bad decisions of those Terrorists. I pray for them and their families with peace and comfort. There is a link to one of my favorite songs on the top of this entry. It's by Diamond Rio, "In God We Still Trust." You should listen.

2 comments:
How lucky you are to have such a memorable experience of 9-11. That is neat. Thanks for sharing
Good blog!
Post a Comment